4.30.2008

Repurposing


Man, it's been a while hu? I've been in a small nothing-terribly-inspiring-to-post-about slump, I guess. Or maybe it's because I've been thinking, and I feel like I have so MUCH to say that it's just easier to say nothing. Shrug. Who knows. All I know is I have a fun idea. (And yes, the idea does involve these seemingly random pictures.)
Recently, I have found myself with a big room. Okay, so maybe it wasn't quite so easy as just "finding" it, it actually took quite a bit of effort to make this room in our home available, but now it is--and I'm loving it! I have big ideas for this room. It's going to be an art/play/office-ish room, a room everyone in the family can use, and I have some ideas for decorating it. One of the ideas involves a shelf already hanging in the room (see seemingly random pictures). I thought it would be a useful storage center for craft/art supplies. Initially, I was wanting to go to Ikea and buy all matching clear jars to contain the craft supplies. But Ikea is quite a distance from here and there are lots of other things I'd rather spend money on. So, I started rummaging through the house to see what I already had that I could use. I was pretty excited with what I found. What do you think of the final result?
Anyhoo. All of this put me in a mood--a sort of a money-saving, using-what-you've-got-to-make-it-work mood. And it helped spawn my fun idea, which I really am getting to. I'm going to redecorate this room using only things I currently have. It'll be a big project based solely on the idea of repurposing. Excluding money. That is, I can't use the money I have now. But, I will need some money. So the rule is that I can only use money I earn from selling things I already have. AND I've already got $25 from selling a child pack on craigslist this morning. Hooray! I'm off and running. Now, I sort want a name for this project of mine...

3 comments:

Christina Huling said...

I really like it! So colorful and creative! I love reusing, especially since I love yard sales too. I am teaching my preschool group about Earth Day this week and so I've been on a very similar train of thought. Good for you!

RicAnn said...

You're so creative. It looks awesome. I can't wait to come see all your cool ideas in life.

Lauren said...

Kristi,

You are so cute, clever, and creative! But I already knew this from serving with you in Primary and seeing all the amazing things you could do! You could be the next Martha Stewart! I'm for real! The display was cute and I admire your desire to decorate!