6.25.2020

Summits & Staples

I got up bright and early yesterday morning--around 5:45. So that I could meet Kandice and Cassie at the trailhead to Malan's Peak in Ogden at 7:00 a.m. It was a beautiful hike, but pretty steep a lot of the way up. I had to stop some and catch my breath--I'm out of shape. :( Also, I had a few bites of an apple and a protein bar for breakfast. Probably not the best idea. But the hike was great! It took us about 3.5 hours up and down, a little less than 5 miles round trip. It felt good to spend time with old friends. And when we were through and looked up at the peak we'd summited, I was proud of us. It was an accomplishment!


After the hike I went to pick up some groceries at Smith's and then headed home. Mom and Dad were nice enough to hang out with the younger 3 while the older 2 went to work, so I could go hiking. They are always very supportive. 

I got home and was unloading the groceries when I felt woozy, so I head to the counter stool. I don't think I ever made it though. The next thing I knew I was coming to on the tile floor of the kitchen. My feet felt tingly, and there were a couple of little puddles of blood. I had blacked out. I kept thinking my nose was bleeding, but it wasn't. The blood had come from the back of my head. I called my dad on my cell phone, he was outside with the kids. He came in and looked at it, I was feeling very woozy now-lighted head and nauseous. I threw up. Dad recommended I head to a doctor, I probably needed some stitches. 

Grace drove me to the Station Park Urgent Care, Anderson came along to help hold me up incase I blacked out again. While getting checked in, they looked at the wound and recommended I go to a Hospital Emergency Room in case I needed a CT scan. They couldn't do a scan there. So we left. Nate was in the parking lot. Grace and Anderson went home and Nate took me to the nearest hospital where we waited for several hours and I got 3 staples in the back of my head. They did a CT scan and some blood work that all came back normal. They wanted to do a EKG, but we declined. I'm pretty sure my blacking out was just overexertion and lack of nutrients. 


On the way down the trail, in the car on the way home and in the grocery store, I remember feeling a little weird. It's sounds strange but it was like I was having really bad DeJaVu or like my life was running parallel to a dream I'd had or something and I was trying to figure it out. I wonder if my oxygen was a little low or something with the hike, then wearing a mask (Covid) into the grocery store. Who knows, it was strange though.

I'm so glad my parents where there when everything went down. I'm so glad I didn't hit my face/chin on the countertop when I blacked out. I'm so glad I didn't black out while driving or in the grocery store. I'm so glad Nate could rush away from work to come sit with me in the Hospital. And I'm SO SO glad there are people who choose to work in hospitals. They really are heroes.

No comments: