1.02.2009

Random Thoughts on Hard Times

A family member recently sent me a copy of an article. It's called STUFF IS NOT SALVATION It's a good one. And, it can help us understand a little better what brought the difficult economic times our country is now facing.

AND it brings me to another thought. Have you all read THE LONG WINTER by Laura Engalls Wilder? I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie series with one of my kidos, and reading these books has made me realize just how wasteful and greedy I am. The people in those books lived happily with so little. I mention it just incase you, like me, need a little help motivating yourself to be frugal and to prepare for hard times. The Book THE LONG WINTER in the series was especially motivational for me.

AND on a happier note, I have also recently been directed to this scripture D&C 78:17-21. Read it! And Be Happy!

I know this is sort of a downer of a post (and not very cohesive)...but I just feel it's so important for us to realize that hard times are ahead, and that we can prepare for them, and that we can change if we need to, AND that in it all we can BE HAPPY!!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Where can I find that article? Sounds like a good one. Love your thoughts on HAPPINESS!! :)

Kandice said...

you are so right about stuff and where happiness comes from. I will read all that stuff and let you know my thoughts.

Kandice said...

ok i have read the Long Winter. And even though spencer's job is SLOW right now, I don't think we will ever be that in need. We have a basement full of food storage that is quite honestly being used right now--but that is why we have it. And we didn't spend money on each other for Christmas this year. And I didn't buy one article of clothing in December. And my house is not really that big. And I even drive a minivan. BUT . . . despite it all I am HAPPY. For some that might be hard to understand. I don't have a lot of things, but I have a lot of LOVE, HEALTH and PEACE. And I love my small house and my not that new minivan and my sweet kids and husband.
Sorry to rant, but Kristi, I couldn't agree more with you. Thanks for the great post. I know that as I receive all things with thankfulness the Lords pours blessing after blessing on me and my family. I know that as we learn to be satisfied with a little, we will truly feel that we have A LOT!

kristi lou said...

Nat-you can just click on the "STUFF IS NOT SALVATION" in the post and it should take you to it. It's a Newsweek article.

Kandice-I personally LOVE small houses (nevermind that our 1500 sq feet are feeling a bit cramped right now...maybe a little too small...)But truly, I really think SMALL houses are where it's at! And I think it's awesome that you're feeling good about driving your "not-that-new minivan" because sometimes, I have to admit, I find myself thinking "oh, wouldn't it be cool to have an SUV". I drive a station wagon. Here! Here!

Christina Huling said...

I drive a Sienna van that has a broken handle on one side and so I have to reach in from the front door to open it and get the baby out and now the trunk handle broke too so I can't get that open. ha ha, but I remember when I got that van I was so happy to have the space and now I am still happy to have something that we all fit in and it's still convenient enough. However, I still have way too much and am so grateful for your post. I read it all and the scripture was lifting too!Every year we clean out the basement of toys and donate them to give away to people who don't have any and make room for the new, but really you're right. We need to learn to be happy with so much less and make all the days in between Christmas and birthdays special without things and treats, then surely everyone will be more grateful for what they get on those occasions.