6.03.2008

Creative Juice

Okay, so you all remember my room that needed decorating, well it's almost done. And, I have been doing pretty good at just using what I've got. I got some great ideas for the creative room decor from a great book I just read. It's not a decorating book. It's a book about how to help you and your wee ones be more creative. It's called The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule. She has some great ideas, mostly geared toward children, but really some great things for everyone! I love that her ideas are simple and low-cost. Check it out:

One of the ideas in the book is a Nature Table. It's just a little place in the home where the kids can play with nature. She likes to center hers around the seasons, but really anything goes. At our nature table right now are a couple of seed packets-in a bucket so they can be dumped and played with-, some rocks Grace found, some books about Arizona wildflowers, a star-chart (we are taking a trip to the local planetarium next week), and The Very Hungry Caterpiller by Eric Carle. We also have this butterfly kit which has really been AMAZING and I could make an entire post just about it, but I won't. Anyway you get the idea...it can be so simple.

The Inspiration Wire. I LOVE this for me. You have all probably heard about inspiration boards, well this is the same idea-except it's a wire you can clip things to. You put things there that you find inspiring for whatever reason, to be used in later creative projects. I have totally used it to help me generate ideas for decorating my house. I really like how the wires look on the wall. Each of us (except Gibby) has a wire- Pretty!

Another of her suggestions that is so simple, but great, is to put a basket of fabric of all sorts shapes, sizes, patterns, textures where you kids have access to it. It's really fun to see what crazy things they come up with to do with the fabric: lay it out on the floor, cut it, tie it, throw it, draw on it...really fun!

She has some great suggestions for dress-ups. One of them was to have a mirror nearby-which makes complete sense, but I hadn't thought of it. My dress-ups were hanging up high completely out-of-reach. So, I moved them to the trunk shown above (which I painted ORANGE -a little crazy-not sure I really like it). And hung the mirror-which my sis made for me-thanks RicAnn!

And there's my red repurposed shelf.

Anyway, she's got a bazillion and one ideas. It's good stuff. Maybe you should check-it out.

10 comments:

Nika said...

This is a very sweet blog. I have a very similar theme to my blog, upbeat and not boring,lol. We might even be good friends. :) http://nikasland.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

Your room looks great! It's so nice to repurpose stuff...it makes me feel so thrifty and green! I feel inspired to go through Jaxon room. Thanks!

RicAnn said...

I love, love this post! I can't believe how creative you are! When I get back to Michigan I am going to have to steal some of your good ideas. You need to post more often :)

Cassie said...

Kristi! That is the custest thing. I love your room. Maybe I should get rid of our guest room and make the kids a play room...no one ever visits anyway! :) It's great you have the space to play. If I ever do, I'll definately have to consult your book. What some great ideas!!!

Monica Polad said...

I love your rooms! They are the cutest! You are so good! I wish that I could be that creative. Keep up the good work!

anjie said...

Your house looks cute. Makes me wish I was a kid and could play there.

Anonymous said...

I totally LOVE that room. I wish I were as creative as you! That is super inspiring though. When we move I might have to be a copy-cat and steal some ideas from that same book! I especially love the wire idea!!
Good job with the room, it looks great!

Amateur Steph said...

Kristi! I am so glad to find you! I found you through Melisa, who found me through Kathryn. Your room looks great, like something out of a magazine. I love the inspiration wire.
Anyway, can I add you as a link on my blog?
-Stephanie (Hansen)
www.excitedandconfused.blogspot.com

kristi lou said...

STEPH!!! I have been wondering what you were up to! OF COURSE, you can add me to you're blog!!!! I want to talk to you. WHERE are you?

Bayles Clan said...

hey hey-i know it seems odd that ricann told you about our blog! glad we are now in touch! the room looks sooooo good-i think i will hire you to do edi's room! i am going to check out those decor places you mentioned. love ya!
see you